The Rose Taylor Dryer House
In 1999 local developer Joe Ciminello deeded the house, large barn, and
some smaller buildings at 7569 E. Walnut Street, together with three acres,
to the New
Albany Plain Township Historical Society. The property is part of the
(160 acres) John Clouse bought from the Federal Government in 1814. One of two
Revolutionary War veterans who settled permanently in Plain Township, John
is buried nearby in the Smith Family Cemetery on Route 62.
Sometime after John Clouse died in 1822, John Alspach, then residing
Pickerinton, bought from John Clouse's heirs about ninety acres of the
purchase. After Catherine, John Clouse's widow, died in 1844, John Alspach
from the heirs the rest of the quarter section.
John Alspach, descendant of a German family domiciled in this country
eighteenth century, was a prosperous farmer who acquired over two hundred
In time he deeded to his sons the greater part of his holdings. The deed of
interest is one dated 1868 in which John deeded to his son Jacob
thirty-five acres of
the Clouse purchase on which the Dryer House stands. The 1856 Map of Plain
Township shows no house at the Dryer House location, but the 1872 Map does.
from all of these documents the Dryer House can be dated tentatively within
limits between 1868 and 1872. The dates are consistent with the oral
later non--Alspach owners that the house was built in the Civil War era.
In the early twentieth century, the Dryer house was extensively
give it what some might have called a "colonial" look. However, originally
it must have
resembled another Alspach house on Peter Hoover Road pictured in its
in the accompanying photograph and erected, according to an Alspach
the time of the Civil War. Missing are the proportions and decorative
detail of the
Greek Revival style both houses might have had had thay been constructed
years earlier. The photograph indicates that the Alspach houses were plain
with ornamental front stoops similar to other modest brick farmhouses
built in Plain
Township at mid-century.
The large barn on the property may be the oldest barn surviving in Plain
Township. The simple roof line (as opposed to a gambrel roof), some hand-hewn
beams suggest that the barn was owner-built and may be contemporaneous with
The Historical Society uses the house and its spacious grounds as a
headquarters and center for non-museum activities.
Copyright © 2006 NAPTHS. All rights reserved.