In 1820, Mark Evans, John Davis, and Jacob Waggoner acquired from Daniel
Triplett an 18-rod-square parcel (approximately two acres) at this location on
which to build the
first school in Plain Township. Education was not publicly funded at the time
and the first teacher, Jacob
Smith, "kept" school for $1.50 per scholar. The fact that part of the
school lot became a cemetery suggests that the log building was also used for
church services, as was a log school a mile and a half east of here on Central
The Wagnor Cemetery is in the
northeast quarter of the Township. Many people buried here belonged
to families that settled the area soon after 1812, when the federal government
8,000 acres in the township's northern half to all comers at $2 an acre.
Rebecca Frampton's tombstone recalls hazards the pioneers faced as they
transformed the wilderness. Her three
infant daughters died on April 30, 1827; twenty-nine-year-old Rebecca died on
June 5. Other tombstones recall past wars. Zimri Hills and
Christian Horlocker served in the War of 1812; Alvin Evans and Peter Bevelhymer
were veterans of the Civil War.
Sales in 1860 and 1881 reduced the property to its present size.
NEW ALBANY-PLAIN TOWNSHIP HISTORICAL SOCIETY
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Photographs from the dedication ceremony for the Wagnor Cemetery historical